Monday, November 03, 2008





Recently I received in my email a list of interesting "HOLES" from all over the world. One of the holes pictured was a "glory" hole at a location about an hour from my house. I've actually ridden by the landmark while on a motorcycle ride past the dam... never noticing the gigantic hole near the road.

I found the hole horrifyingly fascinating, as it just seems so dangerous and wide open. There aren't any preventative rails or fences around the immediate vicinity of the hole, only a line of floats strung across that end of the lake and a chain-link fence up along the road. It is wide open all the way down to the bottom where the water drains out into the creek below.



The Monticello Dam

Built by the United States Government and Solano County (Napa and Yolo Counties opted out) in the mid 1950's, Monticello Dam is operated by Solano County and the resultant reservoir is managed by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. The reservoir has a drainage basin of about 360,000 acres, and at normal annual rainfall, it would take 4.5 years to fill up if outflow, infiltration and surface evaporation were ignored and "zeroed out".
However, the winters of 1994-95, 95-96, and 96-97 were wet enough to fill the reservoir completely and spill water down the large "Glory Hole" spillway drain visible just beyond the dam. Named for the Morning Glory flower whose shape it resembles, it draws numerous visitors, and its eerie image is captured in many a photograph.


26 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

I now have a new phobia! *shudder*

Anonymous said...

will not find me (us) anywhere near there in a rowboat...XoXo

actonbell said...

That's quite an abyss! It is fascinating. The number of wondrous sites I'd never would have imagined is so infinite.

actonbell said...

Infinite. Not SO infinite. I apologize for the qualification:)

lime said...

zowie, that is quite a sight and your description of it as "horrifyingly fascinating" is a very good one!

photowannabe said...

Now that's scary looking. It makes me feel like I'm going to be sucked right down the drain. Its what nightmares are made of.

Ariel the Thief said...

LOL Dj! I have a new phobia, too. How come you've never noticed such a huge hole, Terry? Fantastic hole. I hope there are not many of them all over the world.

tsduff said...

DJ Kirkby - I know! I've been back to my own blog a dozen times just to look at it some more... can't help myself.

Anonymous - I always feel safe with you :) One smart Bear.

Actonbell - Infinite: the amount of scary thougts induced by this hole...

Lime - I'm scared when I look at it, but completely attracted to it just the same - kind of like a great horror movie.

Photowannabe: YES! I wonder if anything ever HAS been sucked down there? Can you imagine?

Ariel the Thief: Most likely I didn't notice the hole because I was busy navigating the windy road on my Harley. Unfortunately a little bit further up that road, my husband hit a the roadside bank as he failed to negotiate a tight turn with his bike, and ended up breaking his leg. We had to get help at a nearby winery (no, no free wine :()

sister celtic said...

Oh that would make for some great nightmares... Hummm gotta go see that wonder of the world...

Dr.John said...

So in the end it's a great big safety drain.

yellowdog granny said...

those pictures scare the crap out of me..they did the first time i saw them and still do...eek!

Tom & Icy said...

Wonder if you fell in one, you'd come out on the other side of the universe. Or wind up in the sewer.

SOe said...

This kind of water drain of is made of concrete which has to be of a very good quality - high wear resistance and resistance against frost-thaw. Sorry, being on a concrete conference in St. Louis, lets me think only about the grey stuff ;-)

Fred said...

I got here without the Black Box. How'd that happen?

Kyahgirl said...

Hi Terry, that is so cool!

SSC~ The Domestic Diva said...

What DJ said! YIKES

Doug said...

OK, that just ain't right.

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Oh my that is the stuff of nightmares, just creeps me out and your description is perfect.

Got here by Black Box but spookily know DJ Kirkby!

jeff@sally said...

Really cool pictures. I will have to go see the place next time I visit. :)

Crystal Jigsaw said...

That does send a shiver up the spine.

Fantastic pictures.

CJ xx

sister celtic said...

Hey Terry Bear...George was thinking that perhaps that hole is like that picture situation of the big waterfall that appears to be the most daring feat to get near the edge... however it is shallow and an illusion so that if anything went in the water it wouldn't just suck ya down unless you went right in a hole in one...hummm maybe it was your time to go...

Jamie Dawn said...

Those photos are dang amazing!!
WOWzer!!
I'd hate to get sucked into that hole!!!
That is by far the most interesting hole I've ever seen.
Holes are usually not that fascinating, although some holes can be quite hideous.

:-)

:-)

javajazz said...

TERRY...!!!!!
(where arrrrrrre you?)
i dont want to see that
giant terrifying hole
please
next time i look here...
are you trying to imitate
my style of non blogging?
cuz nobody does it better
than me!!
hope you're okay...
xoxo me

Melody said...

I've come here via 'the Black Boxes'! Those photos are actually quite eerie! Gee, I would hate to be sucked down that sucker! Lol!!!

Cheesemeister said...

That's only about the oddest thing ever. Looks like it would be a great tourist attraction in the Netherworld.
Did I ever give you the link to my amazing blog of useless blathering stupidity? If not, the Hub is here.

weirsdo said...

If I had grown up near that I would have had nightmares about it, I'm sure. It reminds me of the secret openings James Bond always finds to the villains' hideouts.