Sunday, September 25, 2005

Life with Grandma


My darlin is in Florida - this is the kind of roadside mentality he has to put up with out there... Hmmmm, wonder if he could figure it out.

I've got the cold of the century - given to me by my 3-1/2 yr old grandson whom I'm babysitting while his mother Hannah is in Costa Rica with her boyfriend. I'm having a bit of a struggle because this little ball of fire who is my Grandson is like the energizer bunny! Never stops, slows down, unwinds... you get the picture. He is a wonderful little playmate, but Grandma gets tired faster than he does for some reason. The cold makes me want to just go home and pull the covers up over my head. Of course, I can't do this with my charge. So I go reminiscing back to the days when I actually had to run that race of children all day - I CAN DO THIS! I just have to say, none of them were this active or inquisitive. Or maybe I have only remembered the easy times. AUUUGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for Hannah to come home! So, with boxes of Kleenex on hand along with hot tea, hot chocolate for Hunter, and popcorn all over the bed, we watched Charlotte's Web last night. That book was my favorite growing up, by E.B.White - I had the first chapter memorized. Now that it is a cartoon movie, it is a little strange. Hunter seemed quite taken with it - it is not the normal run-of-the-mill cartoon you see these days where everything is hunky dorry, flowers and butterflies, etc. I forgot how bloodthirsty Charlotte is (what do you expect from a spider-she eats flies alive), and of course, her dying at the end traumatized Hunter. "She is going to come back alive, isn't she Grandma?" Well, I'm sure we shall watch it many more times, and the worry of death will lessen somewhat as we talk about it. He asked me "People only die when they get old - like you Grandma, right?" Hm. Well, I told him I'm not old - you aren't old until you are 100. And only then if you think you are. So there.

2 comments:

won tong said...

I'M TAKING NOTES GRANDMA...WOW YOUR REALLY WONDERFUL TO SHARE THESE LITTLE PEEKS INTO WHAT I WILL BE DEALING WITH GOD WILLING..I'M NOT QUITE SURE HOW MUCH ENERGY AND FUN PLAYMATE I WILL MAKE.. A MOVIE SEEMS DO-ABLE..AND YES THROW THAT POPCORN ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better. LOVED your grandson's comment!!!lol.