Today, Earth Day, is as good a time as any to think about the planet we live on. How can we reverse the toxic poisoning of our earth, water and air?
Organic food is a start.
- When you go to the supermarket, choose foods that are in season.
- Buy foods that are organic.
- Know what’s in your food. Read labels.
- The average meal travels 1500 miles from the farm to the supermarket. Buy foods that are grown locally.
- Shop at farmer’s markets.
- Plant a garden (even a small one).
- Cook a meal with your family and eat together.
- Everyone has a right to healthy food. Make sure your farmer’s market takes food stamps.
- Ask your school board to provide healthy school lunches.
- The FDA and USDA are supposed to protect you and your family. Tell Congress to enforce food safety standards and re-introduce Kevin’s Law.
- If you say grace, ask for food that will keep us, and the planet healthy.